Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Project Learning

In this weeks reading page 55-71 it focused on Project learning. The author thought back to everything they had learned in school and knew that everything they built and created were the things that they remembered the most. I always think about this with my class. I am so over busy work and worksheets. But it is so hard to make every lesson hands-on. My teams focus this year has been making amazing anchor charts for the students to refer to and hopefully we can use them for multiple years to come but I am just not sure this is the best use of my time. I would love to use this time next year to make more hands-on learning bringing in guest speakers, going on field trips, having assemblies, building stuff. If I could pick one main focus each month and make it a more unique experience then I could do it again year and year to build on the previous year. I want more resources for 2nd grade where I can find more projects students can do.

I love science so much because most of it is hands-on and real life experiments this is hard to do with reading unless it is a unit theme. Any ideas? What main projects should I start with? I will continue to brainstorm and build on this. I want my students to have the most beneficial remember able learning experience possible. If anybody has suggestions please share. As of right now the best lessons I have for these are my pottery lesson to learn about the Spanish culture, my primary color lesson where we paint canvases, my engineering unit where we create hand pollinators, life cycle where we raise a butterfly, weather unit where we go outside and do weather reports and experiments, animal reports where we go to the zoo and have the reptile man join us at school, and recycling where we have guest speakers an assembly plant flowers and clean up the play ground. #handsonlearning #projectlearning

No comments:

Post a Comment